700 ATTEND BTEA DINNER HONORING LARRY SILVERSTEIN
The 2011 BTEA Alfred G. Gerosa Dinner held on May 24, honoring Larry Silverstein was attended by over 700 representatives of the New York City construction industry
Dan Tishman, Chairman and CEO of Tishman Construction, and Chris Ward, Executive Director of the Port Authority, presented the Alfred G. Gerosa Lifetime Achievement Award to Mr. Silverstein for his life-long commitment to New York City’s unionized construction industry. Mr. Silverstein was praised throughout the evening for his commitment to rebuilding downtown and his support for using union contractors to help him achieve this goal.
A special thank to you co-chairmen Pat Di Filippo of Turner Construction and Jay Badame of Tishman Construction for their hard work and kind words about the BTEA. Notable industry and public officials in attendance included:
- Peter Davoren, President of Turner Construction
- David Burney, Commissioner of the NYC Department of Design and Construction
- Sal Cassano, Commissioner of the Fire Department of NY
- Lorraine Grillo, President and CEO of the NYC School Construction Authority
- Robert LiMandri, Commissioner of the NYC Department of Buildings
- Marla Simpson, Director of the Mayor’s Office of Contract Services
- John Spavins, Coordinator of Labor Initiatives of the Mayor’s Office of Contract Services
- Steve Spinola, President of the Real Estate Board of NY
In honor of his 80th birthday, Mr. Silverstein was presented with a birthday cake prepared by the celebrity baker, Buddy “ the Cake Boss” Valastro, of Carlos Bakery in Hoboken, NJ. The cake was an actual representation of the completed WTC site in Lower Manhattan.