AUGUST 6, 2012

BTEA MID YEAR LUNCHEON FEATURES COLUMNIST GREG DAVID

The BTEA’s Mid Year Board of Governor’s Luncheon, held in Manhattan on July 26, featured an address by Crain’s New York Business contributor and author Greg David, who spoke on the New York City economy and the upcoming mayoral race in 2013.  The Luncheon, attended by 40 BTEA board members and Association executives, also featured an update on management/labor issues by BTEA Co-Chairman David Pinter and BTEA President Louis Coletti.

 

NEW YORK BUILDING CONGRESS REPORT PAINTS GLOOMY PICTURE OF CONSTRUCTION STARTS

A New York Building Congress report, utilizing McGraw-Hill Construction Dodge data, has found that there was $1.8 billion worth of office construction projects started in New York City in 2011.  This represents a decrease of 30 percent from 2010, when construction projects worth $2.6 billion began. 

According to the Building Congress, the 2011 decline in office starts was directly attributable to a lack of ground-up construction.  The report found that approximately 80 percent of the 2011 office construction starts involved alterations and renovations of existing space with the remaining 20 percent attributable to the construction of new office space.

 

SAVE THE DATE
BTEA SAFETY CONFERENCE SET FOR NOVEMBER 22

The BTEA’s 2012 Annual Safety Conference is scheduled to be held on Tuesday, November 22 at the Sheraton New York in Manhattan.  The conference program which is currently being developed, will include presentations on the New York City Construction Safety Report Card as well as other seminars related to the industry’s best safety practices.  The conference will also feature a safety vendor show and awards luncheon.  For more information on the conference, please contact Carol Karlin at ckarlin@bteany.com.